Today Is... 📆

One thing I discovered fairly recently is how well honey goes with Banana bread. Definitely worth trying.

5 Likes

Fucking hate bananas…

6 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud_with_rain:

It’s Wednesday, 24 February 2021 (W8/D55/310 rem)

Today is :star: World Bartender Day

On 24 February, one of the oldest professions in the world gets its day in the spotlight. No, not that profession, the other old profession - bartending.

While you might think of bartending as a modern job, its roots can actually be traced back to ancient Rome, Greece and Asia.

The “modern” bartender has been around since the 1400s. Some of the first bartenders lived in Europe. They were innkeepers who served spirits and ales to their guests.

In 1862, popular American bartender, Jerry Thomas, published The Bar-tender’s Guide. It was the first drink book ever distributed in the United States. Even during the prohibition in the 1920s, bartending was a popular profession in the country.

• European bartenders aren’t as chatty and French ones especially may come off as rude.
  • Australian bartenders offer some of the best customer service in the world as they love to interact with their customers.
  • Bartenders in other countries might not know some of the classic cocktails that American bartenders make.
  • German bartenders never use jiggers while Australian bartenders always do.
  • London bartenders know more about gin and gin cocktails than bartenders in other countries.

No matter how many differences there are between bartenders, one thing is the same: Bartenders are often everyone’s favorite person during a night out on the town.

It seems that every day is a day of celebration for the bartender. But bartenders work hard to meet the needs of their customers and make them happy. So on this day, be sure to thank your favorite bartender for all the work they do. You can even turn the tables and buy them a drink.

Other ways to participate:

• Have a contest with friends to see who can name the most kinds of cocktails and mixed drinks.
  • Learn about the history of bartending throughout the world.
  • Since 55% of a bartender’s salary comes from tips, make sure to give them an extra big one.
  • Read about world-famous bartenders like Marian Beke in London, Mario Kappes in Hamburg, and Tom Philips in Sydney.
  • Watch movies like Cocktail, Coyote Ugly, The Drop, Casablanca, and Lost in Translation.
  • Binge watch the classic television show, Cheers.

:beers: Remember to tip all your service staff generously, and cheers to a great Wednesday, my dudes! :+1:

6 Likes

I’ve got one CBC Amber Weiss in the fridge, does that count?

3 Likes

It does. As long as you pour it for yourself with flair and panache! And use a coaster!

3 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It’s Thursday, 25 February 2021 (W8/D56/309 rem)

Today is :star: Digital Learning Day

Hugely appropriate in this time of Online Schooling, Digital Learning Day is not just about children doing their lessons over Zoom. It’s also about teaching teachers how to introduce and use technology in their classrooms. And it’s about giving students opportunities to learn how use technology safely, efficiently, and effectively to benefit their education.

The digital revolution has provided unparalleled access to information, and empowered people to do their own research, education, and learning. Digital Learning Day celebrates the use of digital technology in learning and in particular highlights innovative and forward-thinking us of technology for learning in the classroom.

Whether it’s your children using digital means to learn at home and at school, or even yourself looking to grow your personal knowledge base and skill set, digital learning is here to stay - embrace it!

Have a terrific Thursday! :+1:

5 Likes

Finnaly, a day I can get behind. With subscription to IDF and SkillShare I can support today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got a sub to linux academy back in November, haven’t gotten a chance to do any courses this year yet.

People need to shut up about their printers.

2 Likes

It’s Friday, 26 February 2021 (W8/D57/308 rem)

Today is :star: :jeans:Levi Strauss Day :jeans:

They’re comfy. They last for years and years. They don’t require dry-cleaning or any other kind of special treatment. They’re perfect for a number of occasions, from a trip to the grocery store, to a walk in the park, to an evening at the pub, to a number of even semi-formal social occasions. They’re incredibly versatile, meaning they look good with pretty much everything, from t-shirts to smart blazers. In fact, you can’t imagine life without them at all.

What am I talking about? Jeans, of course! This iconic garment is more than deserving of it own holiday, as is Mr. Levi Strauss, a man without whom jeans as we know them might not exist at all.

Levi Strauss was a German-American businessman born in Bavaria on 26 February, 1829, who came to the United States with his family the mid-1800s when he was 18 years old.

Strauss began as a dry goods wholesaler in San Francisco, California, where he sold various items such as clothing, bedding, bags and handkerchiefs to settlers, many of whom had arrived in California to take part in the gold rush.

Needless to say, the hard physical labor required of the miners of the day and those building new railroads made it difficult for them to find clothing that would last for more than a few months without falling apart at the seams. One day in 1870, one of Strauss’ clients, a tailor named Jacob W. Davis was approached by a woman who needed a pair of exceptionally strong working pants for her husband, a woodcutter.

Her request prompted Davis to make a pair of pants from the denim he’d bought at Strauss’ shop that he then strengthened with copper rivets to reinforce the stitching. Word of the new article of clothing and its endurance spread fast, and soon Davis was not able to keep up with the demand for his invention, nor did he have the resources to open a larger tailor shop or obtain a patent.

Falling further and further behind and afraid someone else would steal his idea, Davis decided to ask for Strauss’ financial backing in the filing of a patent application. Strauss agreed, the patent was issued, the two men became business partners, and Levi Strauss & Co was born.

:jeans:So, in honour of Levi Strauss’ birth and to celebrate the day, go with the lekker jean pant today, (whether it’s genuine Levi’s or not) and have a great Friday! :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve only ever owned one pair of genuine Levi’s, and they were black and bought cheaply at a factory outlet in Australia.

Original Levi’s are expensive - basic 501s start at R900 and they go up from there. If you’re really small, you can grab a pair online right now, but only if you have a tiny waist - nothing over 32” available online :neutral_face:

Do you think they’re worth the cost?

3 Likes

One of my first clients was a brick and mortar jeans shop that wanted to start an online store. I skipped the chance to go to a “how we make jeans” workshop, but most my co-workers went. All I remember them talking about was single stitch something and double stitch something…

Nah, I’ve had a few pairs of crappy jeans in my time, but usually if you shoot for cost somewhere in the middle, they’ll be fine.

On another note, everyone get your milktart ready for tomorrow.

3 Likes

:yum:

Doing a double tomorrow: Milk Tarts - got to catch ‘em all!

3 Likes

Im lucky that I wear jeans every day for work :smiley:

3 Likes

ooh… another one I can get behind. I only own and wear Levi.

4 Likes

I’ve owned a couple of pairs over the years. These days I prefer Woolies brand denims though. Not the stretchy material ones, the “normal” ones. I do still have 1 pair of Levi’s from yonks ago. Not sure they’ll fit seeing as COVID added a good 8kg to my waistline. Stupid COVID, affecting us all in different ways.

4 Likes

It’s Saturday, 27 February 2021 (W8/D58/307 rem)

Today is:

:star: Pokémon Day and also

:star: National Melktert Day

A double celebration day today because I couldn’t decide which one to feature. :grinning:

Firstly, Pokémon Day. If this year wasn’t the 25th anniversary event, I probably would have dropped it. But it is. 25 years since the Japanese release of Pokémon Red and Green, and to celebrate this significant milestone there are a host of events and activities planned. Including this:

And lots more besides that:

However you decide to celebrate Pokémon 25, do it safely, and I hope you catch ‘em all!

Then, shifting focus from global to more local celebrations - Melktert Day is here!

There are few dishes more worth honouring than our beloved cinnamon-infused national treasure. And yes, while the rest of the planet may have similar confections called “milk tarts”, today is all about our very own, very delicious, very South African version - melktert.

There are few things more authentically South African than the classic “Melktert”. Ask any expat wistfully dreaming of the things they miss from home and it will surely be near the top of the list.

The 27th February has officially / unofficially been declared National Milk Tart Day. So today we celebrate this comforting SA favourite. A light dessert that’s easy to make and easy to find, at least locally.

Milk Tart recipes are plentiful, and mostly fairly straightforward and easy, so if you’ve never made your own, maybe today’s the day to change that.

That said, many South African families have a milk tart recipe that has been handed down through the ages, or one that they have used for years themselves. If you have a recipe like that, share please!

If you are not into making your own, pretty much any local grocery store, bakery, or home industries shop worth anything will have milk tarts and melkterts ready to be carted home and devoured!

Whether it’s Pokémon or Melktert, or a combination of both, have a great Saturday! :+1:

5 Likes

Totally forgot baking powder makes things puff up. I lost my edge (pun intended) :frowning:

Maybe I should have done 2 pans.

Will do the filling later.

4 Likes

Mary Berry would be truly disappointed. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Mary Berry sounds Very Scary

4 Likes

8 Likes