Today Is... 📆

Too… much… milktart…

4 Likes

That looks awesome!

4 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It’s Sunday, 28 February 2021 (W8/D59/306 rem)

Today is: :star: Tooth Fairy Day :fairy:‍♀

A mythical creature that flits around the globe in the dead of night collecting children’s fallen milk teeth from under their pillows? And pays for them? What does the fairy do with all those teeth? And just how rich is she? I call shenanigans! It’s really the parents doing that con the kids thing again isn’t it? It’s the great Santa hoax all over again! :smiley:

Curiously, there seems to be two occasions each year that celebrate Tooth Fairy Day - today and again in August. Most sources mark today as the day, so here we are.

In many cultures around the world, various traditions around the tooth fairy are celebrated! The tooth fairy herself (or himself–as the verdict is still out on whether this spirit is male or female) has been around since at least the Middle Ages, although the exact origins are still unknown. In any case, this is certainly an iconic childhood symbol that brings joy and (gap-filled) smiles to children all over the world.

Children in Europe, Russia, some parts of Asia (especially China), North America and other places all have certain traditions that revolve around the idea of a tooth fairy. The tradition usually goes that a child who loses a tooth can leave it under his or her pillow that night.

This special creature, who fortuitously knows when a child has lost a tooth, stealthily exchanges it for a coin or a treat during the night. Some traditions assign this role to a small animal, such as a mouse, rabbit, cat or dog, while other cultures may tend to associate it more with a mythical creature akin to Tinkerbell.

Likely, the idea of the tooth fairy was a myth that evolved over time and, in some cultures, children’s teeth were even considered to be lucky. It’s possible that the tooth fairy may have just been made up by parents as a means to calm a child that was undergoing the strange experience of losing a tooth, which can certainly be an upsetting part of growing up. But it also could have been a clever way to get access to those lucky teeth!

Because so many children live on the planet, the tooth fairy probably collects about 300,000 teeth from children all over the world each night. That’s a very busy fairy!

Since each child typically has 20 baby teeth that they will lose to make room for permanent teeth, the Tooth Fairy has a fairly busy job. According to certain surveys, the current (US) average per tooth is around $4.50. This might leave some to question whether the Tooth Fairy is actually a very wealthy philanthropist!

I know there’s quite a few MEWbs with young children. Is the Tooth Fairy a thing for your family? Or are you more of a Tooth Mouse sort of household? And what’s the local going rate per tooth collected?

Have a great smile-filled Sunday! :grin::+1:

4 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It’s Monday, 1 March 2021 (W9/D60/305 rem)

Today is:

:star: Barista Day :coffee:

In 1938, the first record of the use of the word “barista” was made. From the Italian language, the word is technically used for a bartender of any gender. In America, the word barista is used just in relation to coffee. However in Italy, it can be related to alcohol, coffee or other drinks.

In appreciation of baristas everywhere, Almond Breeze – the alternative milk manufacturer – launched Barista Day. This is a day which celebrates the people behind the beans and coffee machines that keeps us all energized.

There’s a reason the modern coffee scene is so vibrant and thriving. It all comes down to the work of thousands of people in the industry working hard to deliver exceptional coffee to the people around them. Without them, the coffee that people enjoy from their local coffee houses would not be as delicious as it is. A lot of effort goes in behind the scenes – much of it unrecognized.

Barista Day is a chance to make that hard work known so that people can celebrate it! Salute your “Bartender of the Morning”!

Celebrating Barista Day is just about as easy as it gets. All that is needed is to go down to the local coffee house and celebrate the baristas who work there by buying and enjoying one of their freshly prepared coffee drinks.

Of course, it’s better not to go alone. Why not take a friend or family member along? Why not get as many people involved as possible? Surely, everyone knows a few people who would love to communicate their gratitude. For coffee-lovers, spreading the word on social media and letting friends know about Barista Day.

Have a fantastic coffee-scented Monday! :coffee::+1:

6 Likes

And possibly even buying them one too, or leave a tip as appreciation.

4 Likes

I’m in the middle of nowhere, 3km outside of a town in the middle of nowhere - there isn’t a barista for miles. But I’ll take inspiration, and go and fix myself a good cup of instant Nescafe. :cry:

5 Likes

‘Affectionately’ known as Sasol Blend by my colleagues.

4 Likes

Well, I thought the “leave a generous tip” bit was self evident :grinning:.

I also thought another way to acknowledge their skills is to, rather than go with your usual, have them choose your brew for you. “I’ll have whatever you recommend.”

3 Likes

I did that once, never again, it was an orange, caramel foamy mess.

I prefer a plain cappuccino.

3 Likes

What? I read your post again, 3 times now and I don’t see that.

4 Likes

It’s right at the top:

4 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :sun_behind_large_cloud:

It’s Tuesday, 2 March 2021 (W9/D61/304 rem)

Today is:

:star: Dr. Seuss Day

We love him in the morning,
We love him in the night!
When we read the words of Seuss,
We really feel alright!

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
Dr. Seuss

Theodor Seuss Geisel, commonly known by his pen name Dr. Seuss, was a writer, poet and cartoonist. Though best known as a children’s author (he released a whopping forty-six books for tykes), his career also saw him work as an illustrator for advertising campaigns and a political cartoonist during the Second World War.

He was also a true perfectionist, known to discard 95% of his material before settling on a theme for a new book, sometimes spending up to a year writing a single story, and preferring payment upon completion, rather than in advance.

Born on this day in 1904, today is a celebration of his life and works. His many bizarre, colourful and zany tales are still cherished by young and old alike, and are read all across the world every single day.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.
Dr. Seuss

Celebrating Seuss Day is as easy as reading. With so many books to choose from, you could spend hours going through the collected works of Dr. Seuss, whether alone or with others. Read to your children. Better yet, get them to read to you.

There’s also a large number of Seuss stories that have been made into film, which is a fun way to spend the evening.

And for the more adventurous, or those with children who are keen, have a Dr. Seuss costume day. And then write and illustrate your own version of a Seuss book. Try using something like Green Eggs and Ham as a template.

I am Greg, Greg I am.
I like redd eggs and ham.
I can eat them in a box,
I can eat them with an ox.
I can eat them in my car,
I can eat them in the bar.
I can eat them with a spoon,
One day I’ll eat them on the moon.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…
Dr. Seuss

Have a super Seussical Tuesday! :+1:

6 Likes

I remember my friend bought a copy of Green Eggs and Ham in Hebrew. The best part was they were in a tunnel, and Sam I Am tried to get the other guy to eat ham, “Don’t worry, no one will see”

3 Likes

Good morning!

A hale and hearty Happy New Year to all and everyone. May the year ahead bring you, and those close to you, all that is good: good health, good fortune, good wealth, good food, good wine.

4 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :cloud:

It’s Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 (W53/D2)*.

Today is both Science Fiction Day and World Introvert Day. Coincidence?

Happy SFD and WID, ya bunch of nerds and geeks!

* According to ISO-8601, weeks start on Mondays. Technically we’re currently still in 2020s leap year created Week 53)

8 Likes

:wave: Good morning! :partly_sunny:

It’s Sunday, January 3rd, 2021 (W53/D3)

Today is:

• Drinking Straw Day, which commemorates the day this humble little tool was patented in 1888.

• Chocolate-Covered Cherry Day, introduced in 1929 by Cella’s Confections in New York, where the gooey liquid-centered confection became famous.

Have a great day! :+1:

6 Likes

Good Morning everyone.

I wonder if this will disappear once they eliminate straws.

The Blue Marlin Hotel had a straw in a frame with the title “The Last Straw”. Which was meant to signify the last straw they had ever served and wouldn’t be serving any more.

4 Likes

In… in English?!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Si, que what!

3 Likes