Today Is... 📆

I dislike bathing, even in winter, I feel like I’m sweating while in or even when I get out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t bath.

2 Likes

yeah no, baths suck, always too small, makes awful squeaking sounds, uses way too much water, and takes too much effort to get in and out, showers all the way, in and out in 5 minutes, more time for gaming.

3 Likes
3 Likes

WHO CLEANS ALL THAT WATER!?!?!

2 Likes

I always wanted an otter or two as pets until I started watching this channel…

Apparently you have to massage their scent glands daily and squeeze the stuff out.

1 Like

That is possitively addorable, thanks for sharing. Had a smile on my face the entire video :smiley:

2 Likes

The female, Hana, goes “nyam nyam nyam” when she eats sometimes.

Makes my day.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ve shared that before. They are positively gorgeous.

1 Like

:wave: Good morning! :sunny:

It is Friday, 8 October 2021
(W40 | D281 | 84 rem)

Today is: :star: World Octopus Day :octopus:

As the name suggests, World Octopus Day celebrates one of the most distinctive creatures living on the planet today: the octopus. This eight-legged, mysterious creature from under the sea has always been one that brings with it a load of fascination for its intelligence, mobility, and beauty.

Octopuses are worthy of appreciation for a number of reasons. First of all, they are one of the earth’s great survivors. Indeed, despite their relatively short lifespan, octopus fossils date back more than 300 million years, meaning that they pre-date even dinosaurs.

Perhaps one of the reasons that these unique creatures have survived so long under the sea is because they are also believed to be highly intelligent. With around 500 million neurons located in their brains and arms, they are able to bypass their instincts, learn lessons and solve problems in a way that not very many other sea life creatures are able to.

Some of them have even been seen to be creative, by using discarded coconut shells and making them into mobile homes. Ingenious!

In addition, octopuses are visually stunning, coming in various different colors, a multitude of sizes, and all sorts of shapes. Some live in the very shallow waters of the sea, while others can be found thousands of meters below the surface of the water. Sometimes called the chameleons of the sea, the octopus is often able to change colors to blend in with its surroundings as a form of protection against predators.

Even though they’re introverts and probably don’t want to be invited to a party for the day, plenty of ways still exist to celebrate World Octopus Day!

Put aside a small section of this day to simply get more informed about these fascinating underwater creatures. Although short-lived (some only live around 6 months) they are unique creatures with extremely interesting lives.

Try out these resources for learning:

• National Geographic has a long history of being the go-to for learning about all things related to nature. With videos, articles and other resources, check out their website or their magazine. https://www.nationalgeographic.com
  • The National Wildlife Federation is another great foundation that offers interesting information for those who want to learn about octopuses. https://www.nwf.org
  • The Smithsonian Institute offers a number of online resources in their Ocean: Find Your Blue section.

Have a fabulous Friday! :octopus: :+1::grinning:

Know More:

3 Likes

It is Saturday, 9 October 2021
(W40 | D282 | 83 rem)

Today is: :star: International Beer and Pizza Day :beer: :pizza:

It would be hard to find something that makes a day as glorious as finishing it off with that perfect combination of beer and pizza. The foamy head on top of a glass of amber-colored joy seems to be tailor-made to go with the rich and cheesy texture of that favorite of treats, pizza.

It is a little wonder that these two go together so well, with the salty savory buttery crust of the pizza that is reminiscent of that other favorite bar treat, the pretzel.

Beer and Pizza Day reminds everyone to take a moment to indulge in this delightful combo, and remember the good things in life!

The history of International Beer and Pizza Day is the history of two amazing substances that traveled the long and winding roads of culinary antiquity to ultimately come together on tables and in hearts. Beer is the oldest alcoholic beverage known to man and has occupied an important part of the culinary past as both a liquid food source as well as a semi-safe way of imbibing water.

After all, with all the diseases that occupied the water in the past, and with no knowledge of where those illnesses came from, it’s hardly surprising that beer was considered one of the safest drinks around! The Ancient Egyptians included beer in every level of their food chain, and it was a favorite drink of the slaves building the pyramids as it gave them the calories and protein needed to make it through the hard workdays.

Pizza, on the other hand, heralds back to 997 AD in Gaeta, Italy, though of course, it didn’t have any tomato sauce on it in the beginning. Tomatoes didn’t come to Europe until the discovery of the New World, and when Italians discovered tomatoes they pretty much never looked back! The first place tomatoes went when found? Their favoured food, Pizza!

Finally, after thousands of years, these two amazing things came together to be celebrated in Beer and Pizza Day!

Not that long ago, back in 2016, Beer and Pizza Day came into existence when it was the brainchild of a website designer, Nick Saulino (http://www.pintsandslices.com/). Saulino, a lover of pints and slices, decided that the combination deserved a day of its own, so he advocated for International Beer and Pizza Day to be born!

Celebrating the day is as simple as getting both beer (and yes, zero alcohol beer counts too, especially if you’re driving!!) and pizza together in the same place at the same time. Ideally with family and some friends, but even solo works too. And then enjoy the day!

Have a Saturday of significance! :beer::pizza::+1::grinning:

Know More:

https://twitter.com/beerandpizzaday?lang=en

4 Likes

Could do with one or both of those things today. It’s been a tough week.

2 Likes

Go for both - it’s right there in the name!

1 Like

haha, if only.

2 Likes

It is Sunday, 10 October 2021
(W40 | D283 | 82 rem)

Today is: :star: World Mental Health Day

Making everyone in the world more aware of the issues that are faced by people struggling with mental health is a great way to offer the beginning of a solution to the problem. The more people know, the more they can do to aid with the prevention or seek out help.

World Mental Health Day was established in 1992 by the World Federation for Mental Health. In some countries around the world, it forms just one part of the larger Mental Illness Awareness Week.

Mental health problems, ranging from issues like depression and anxiety disorders to conditions like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, affect millions of people around the world. In fact, according to certain statistics, 1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental health problem during their lifetime and many more will see friends or family members who are affected.

Yet, even though mental health is so prevalent, it is one of the most neglected forms of health in the world today. Almost one billion people are living with a mental health disorder right now and millions of people die each year from the impact that mental health has had on them. Even so, many people still do not have access to the care that they need to appropriately handle these concerns.

The purpose of World Mental Health Day is to raise awareness of mental health issues, increase education on the topic and attempt to eliminate the stigma attached. It is hoped that this, in turn, will encourage sufferers to seek out help and support.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has gotten on board with supporting World Mental Health Day and sees it as an opportunity to have a massive scale-up given to the investment made in the support of mental health. The WHO asserts that countries spend only 2% of their annual healthcare budgets on mental health, and that simply is not enough.

It’s time to push away the stigma, embrace the struggle, and invest in the opportunity for a more stable future when it comes to mental health. World Mental Health Day is a great day to begin!

Get on board with World Mental Health Day! :+1::grinning:

Know More:

4 Likes

A very very important day.

2 Likes

At least we live in a world where these issues are more out in the open, still some see it as a bad thing, but we all have issues, and as you lot know I am open about my struggles.

2 Likes

Somethings missing…

2 Likes

It is Monday, 11 October 2021
(W41 | D284 | 81 rem)

Today is: :star: The International Day of the Girl Child

Known as the Day of Girls, for short, the International Day of the Girl Child is a day that’s observed all over the world to bring a light to and fight the injustices and inequalities faced by girls based on their gender.

The day is marked by efforts both to raise awareness and to offer opportunities to girls and young women, addressing issues like access to education, healthcare rights, career and employment and much more.

The day was initially a project designed by the non-governmental international organization, Plan International. It was inspired by their “Because I Am A Girl” campaign, which celebrated and encouraged the increasing role of girls and young women in efforts to raise awareness of gender issues across the world.

Eventually, Plan International urged the United Nations to get involved, and the first official Day of Girls took place in 2012, with a resolution backed by the international organization to cement it.

Since then, International Day of the Girl Child has been celebrated with a new theme every year. Those themes tackle the issues girls and young women face, but especially in developing nations where they don’t have as strong a voice advocating for them.

Over the years, worldwide initiatives have been taken with aims such as ending child marriage, innovating education for girls, and training young women with skills to help them excel in the workplace. Since then, thousands of events are planned every year, across the world, both sponsored by the United Nations and by independent initiatives like nonprofits and local organizations.

Every time International Day of the Girl Child comes around, groups and organizations of all sizes, as well as lone volunteers, are encouraged to raise awareness of and campaign against the discrimination and violence that girls face across the world, even with the introduction of laws, policies, and global targets meant to eliminate them.

As the theme of International Day of the Girl Child, and the issue they are trying to tackle, changes every year, so too does the ways that you can help.

In any case, it won’t be too difficult to find events, classes, and volunteering efforts around you that could use your attention and support.

Furthermore, everyone is encouraged to signal boost events and campaigns tied to the day through social media, spreading awareness of the cause and the issues that it’s trying to tackle.

Otherwise, there are few better days to educate yourself about the campaigns and global efforts to combat issues disproportionately affecting women, locally and abroad.

While learning, you might see some of the organizations and nonprofits near you raising funds to help women around the world. Organizing fundraisers of your own or hosting events can you way to get involved and show your support for women everywhere.

Male or female, don’t be kak to anyone ever, but especially not to girls today. If you are, I’ll come round to your place and klap you upside the head. Be lekker. It’s Monday!:+1::grinning:

Know More:

https://www.gov.za/InternationalDayoftheGirlChild2021

4 Likes

I’ll be sure not to let my wife know as she is broody.

2 Likes