Voting for a new name meta discussion

Hey, I’m still here. :pig:

2 Likes

Haha I’m glad you are still here.

That’s good to know for when @DieGrootHammer creates the poll in the new year — I/mods must make a special sticky post drawing attention to it.

1 Like

I have discovered a limitation in the design of the simple like button. It needs a way to indicate “I see what you did there”.

2 Likes

The poll shall be created in the new year then. I will make sure I’ve got all the name suggestions consolidated and ready to go.

Ja, compile a list now and post it here so we can lull it over, dream on it, discuss it with our loved ones and then make a vote early 2018.

1 Like

Okay give me a few minutes and I’ll have the list up and running

Right, welcome to 2018 everyone! It’s time for that “new year, new site” vibes, and we need to bed down who and what we are here in this community.

There are currently two trains of thought; either we use this site going forward, and we’ll need to come up with a name and logo and stuff, or we keep the old MyGaming. Below is a poll you can vote for your choice. You’ll see there are two options for MyGaming, one where we rebrand Discourse as MyGaming, and another as one where we keep MyGaming. Vote for your choice in the matter

Now, remember that, if we decide that we go with Discourse, MyG won’t be switched off immediately. I imagine there will be a period where the site will redirect to here, or have some form of post stating we’ve moved.

So, here is the poll for you to vote on the name we’ll call ourselves:

• offbeatgamer.com
  • GAME & GEEK
  • Gamecentric
  • GameStation
  • Gamers Platform
  • Gamersboard
  • Most Epic Win
  • MyGaming (New Site Name)
  • MyGaming (Keep Old Site)
  • gamezil.la
  • geekzil.la
  • Gamers’n’geeks.win
  • Geeking.out
  • Stompthegeek.com
  • nerdcult.co.za
  • geeksandfreaks.co.za

0 voters

Are we allowed to use the old site name however? I can’t remember if @SIGSTART said anything about it.

I was very keen for change last year but this morning I feel like maybe we should just continue with the old one if we are able to. :slight_smile:

I’ve pinned the topic so that it stays prominent.

1 Like

yes Jan got the greenlight to take over the MyG franchise

Confirming that I got permission to continue using the MyGaming name. So, as per @DieGrootHammer’s poll the options are:

1. Keep MyGaming as-is (with a few tweaks to decouple it from MyBroadband).

2. Change the name of this forum (MEW) to MyGaming.

3. Change everything: name and forum software.

Once that is decided, there are a few other nitty-gritties to handle:

• If we use the new forum software, we should still try and preserve the posts currently on MyGaming.
  • We can either import them here (I’m thinking a special archive category, with all the old posts locked);
  • Or I can preserve the old forum posts in a static site, which will then link to the new forum.

This is to try and avoid a massive drop in traffic in addition to a loss of history.

I’ve got a few other ideas kicking around so we don’t lose the brand MyGaming has built up in the South African market over the last nine years, but still get to use a new name. Once I’ve had a chance to think through it a little more carefully I’ll bring it up for discussion.

3 Likes

Only 15 votes cast, we still need a few more people to weigh in on the matter. I’m tagging all the users. If you’ve voted, thank you, and just ignore me.

@Solitude
@MetalSoup
@DarthMol
@Pr0fPyr0
@Murph
@czc
@DohcWP
@oltman
@Wyvern
@crzwaco
@Blazzok
@wenzdayz
@FarligOpptreden
@SIGSTART
@TechThief
@Viper
@Tom
@MalicE
@Mister44
@Hiro
@Kwaai
@Wlad
@Flex
@rise_above
@Talentloos
@Beo
@AlienTaker
@Mottamort
@Donisia
@Glordit
@Armitag3
@Snowbeast
@Fivelza
@miryannick
@Saint_Dee

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Forum layout and structure

Right, 67.56% of all users have voted on the potential name and future of the site as per the poll. Remember to make sure your vote is in!!

1 Like

Anything with the word ‘game’ in the title and I will be blocked at work.

1 Like

A lot of people have the same issuse which is why I like MEW - plus MEW!!!

It’s the reason I fell out of mygaming in the first place - don’t want that to happen again - I like the company throughout the day

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Logo and visual identity redesign