What are you reading?

The parts that they’ve had about him has been good so far.

1 Like

I love the Discworld books, such great satire. But I really love Pratchett’s later works that told such deeply human stories. My favourite stories involve the Watch, and in particular Commander Vimes. He is definitely one of the best book characters.

2 Likes

I’ve been re-reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. For some reason I’m enjoying it far more this time around.

2 Likes

Not exactly on topic but related.

Rosamund Pike has been cast as Moiraine Damodred in the upcoming Wheel of Time TV adaptation.

I think this is a great choice.

1 Like

I wanted to make a thread about that.

1 Like

Do it. We can discuss this casting (and others as they become known) as well as the adaptation/books in general.

1 Like

For me it does, except for abridged audio books. I have so little time, I used to read lots, love it. But audio books are awesome.
I listen to them when I’m driving to and from work, when I go to sleep, etc. (I use Smart AudioBook Player, its got a sleeper time setting, I set it 10 mins, so when I fall asleep, when I want to listen again, I just go back a few mins.)

I’m currently at the last book of Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows), always made fun of it, (yeah, I’m not the brightest tool in the shed) but really enjoying it. Want to get Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them next.

Side note, I’ve also gotten addicted to CreepyPasta stories on youtube. The SCP universe is amazing! Not all pasta is SCP obviously, but the fiction is great.
Some narrators I listen to on youtube:

• MrCreepyPasta
  • CreepyPastaJr
  • Dr. Creepen
  • Mr. Creeps
  • NaturesTemper
  • UNIT #522
4 Likes

So, I just finished Armada by Ernest Cline. He is author of Ready Player One, and I was hoping for some more sci fi action. What I got was a book with a very long build-up to a very disappointing ending. I wasn’t nearly on the same level as Ready Player One, which was disappointing.

1 Like

Yea I will be honest I didnt even finish it

Starting on the witcher books next week. Interested to see if witches with their enormous potential actually develop silly magic that removes their clothes at a whim.

The game seems to think so. I found the emphasis on naked bodies and boobs in the game excessive and unwarranted. Interested to see if the books are the same.

Hoping the series will not be, but since it is a series for Netflix and boobs sell whatever they are in, it probably will be inundated with boobs for boobs sake. …/sigh

Funny enough I found the same true for Assassin’s Creed Origins. The random half-naked ladies walking around and the brothels absolutely everywhere with the same explicit paintings and constant moaning felt a bit forced in a game that had a completely different focus. It made playing the game in a family setting very awkward and uncomfortable.

But yes, the Witcher has many boobs. The second and third games are toned down a bit compared to the first one though, where you’re rewarded for partaking in pleasure activities.

But, being CDPR, Cyberpunk will also be full of naked bodies - the gameplay trailer showed as much and the devs even admitted it. So prepare yourself for ultimate boobage!

It was an interesting book, the whole idea of the games being used. Liked it, but not as much as Ready Player One.

One series I love so much, I went through it twice was Dean Koontz “Odd Thomas”
Amazing series of books, the character Odd Thomas is amazing well written.

2 Likes

Im so glad to see I am not the only one who read Odd Thomas. I loved the books and the 1 movie

2 Likes

I was really sad when I heard Anton Yelchin passed away, loved him in the new Star Trek movies (anyone that says Star Trek Beyond is part of the Star Trek universe will be assaulted with a Klingon Bat’leth!! :rage: ) and as Odd Thomas. Awesome actor.

1 Like

Same here, I loved him, he was going to be huge, he had so much talent

Finished the first book of The Commune. It was good, but rather than smack the whole series, I decided to return to The Wheel of Time and finish the fantasy series that occupied so much of our attention during high school. The Wheel of Time led to some of my first forum experiences on the web, so, in some way, it led me here.

I stopped reading Wheel of Time at Winter’s Heart (Book 9), because nothing happened. Series such as the Goodkind’s Sword of Truth grabbed my interest for awhile and at some point in all this my family also discovered series such as His Dark Materials and Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen. At some point in university I also discovered the Kushiel’s Legacy series. I also finally read the Dragonlance Chronicles.

Aaaanyway… Upon deciding to return and finish the Wheel of Time before the TV show kicks off, I read over the reviews and decided to skip books 10 and 11, and jumped right to the ones where Brandon Sanderson took over after James Rigney (Robert Jordan) died.

Finished book 12 and I am onto book 13. So far… fantastic! Really enjoying (and I don’t feel like I’ve missed much in the books I skipped).

(P.S. To be clear… this isn’t intended to be disparaging of Jordan… Sanderson took over the series at the behest of Jordan’s wife and had piles of Jordan’s own notes to help him bring the story to a conclusion.)

I’ve been reading The Wheel of Time books now for many many years. Only because I own them. And wowee they are bad. The first ones are great and then it just goes downhill. By book 7 all that happens is that people argue. The whole time.

I’m currently in book 10. Will see if it gets better.

1 Like

My current reading poison is a military sci-fi series called Honor Harrington. It is a great series, featuring a wonderfully complex female protagonist.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40419-honor-harrington

1 Like

Sanderson is brilliant though. I love his novels!

2 Likes

Oh yes. The Cosmere books have me thoroughly hooked. I enjoyed reading them as separate books, and then I found out that they are all connected, and now I enjoy them even more!

1 Like