[GameClub 19] DOOM Eternal

Our second game of the December GameClub is DOOM Eternal.

Game Club is like a book club for games. We get together and play a game during a set period, from start to finish. You’ll get a badge to proudly display on your forum profile if you finish the game in time and discuss it in the forum.

We also sometimes chat on Discord in the evenings while we play. Buy the game (if you don’t have it already), play it, join our chats in the evenings, be happy and content with the world. The chats are optional, but posting in the forum is not.

You can play on whichever platform you prefer and you have until the end of January to finish the game. You have to play it through from beginning to end.

GameClub 19 Status

Nominations → Voting → Run-off voting (optional) → Active (You are here) → Completed

GameClub 19 Nominations and Voting

The nominations and voting for this GameClub are documented in the GameClub 18 topic.

Sadly, in merging the separate voting topic I created into the main GameClub 18 topic it wiped out the result of the poll. You’ll just have to believe me when I say that Hades and DOOM Eternal tied with 8 out of 16 votes each (people could vote for multiple games).

1 Like

Might join in on this one, do I have to click on the “going” thing at the top of the topic?

3 Likes

Definitely taking part in this one as well. I played a little bit of the game a while back but barely made any progress so I’ll just restart.

2 Likes

Yay for Game Pass! Will play this after Wasteland 3. Will play it on console which is going to be tough!

1 Like

Few hours in now, very fun game, just wished the guns had more ammo, I guess it’s to stop you from using the super shotgun all the time but still, I want to use the super shotgun all the time :smiley:

3 Likes

Getting game pass tomorrow and starting this baby up.

3 Likes

Have to say I was actually disappointed in this one. I ‘tested’ DOOM 2016 and i think bought it that same day, at full price on Steam. It just ticked all the right boxes.

Tested this one a few months back…played about 30 minutes, realised they’d change the mechanics such that doom guy is essentially a pussy (don’t believe me, try punching even the weakest enemy to death…impossible, his fists now do 0 damage…not an exaggeration, the mechanics now make his fists pure “stun”, no damage, FORCING you to use ammo to kill, but ammo is scarce so they FORCE you to use chainsaw every 3rd kill) Coming from the ebb and flow of the masterpiece that was 2016 it was just little things like that, the absolute FORCING of you to use the chainsaw to replenish the ridiculously low amount of ammo you now carry, really irked me enough to put me off even playing it for free.

I’ll skip, soz.

1 Like

I’m enjoying the shooting so far but not the platforming. At all. I already hate first person platforming but the dashes and double jumps make it even worse.

1 Like

yeah thought the same regarding the ammo, much prefer 2016 DOOM where I could use the chainsaw to cut up big enemies depending on how much fuel I had. Regarding the fists, I do agree with you, and I think the reason they made the fist so weak is because of the following: Around the 2nd or 3rd mission you gain access to the “blood fist” which basically is a powerfull AOE melee attack attached to your default melee, it gains charges as you get glory kills,the blood fist is able to kill smaller enemies and is great to get larger enemies into the “stagger” status (prepped for glory kills)

I understand your frustrations, but personally I would recommend playing more, it really does get better, maybe not as good as DOOM 2016, but still quite good.

3 Likes

Well have to finish DooM 2016 first before I’ll play Eternal. So yeah have to give cyberpunk a rest

2 Likes

I’m also skipping and agree with most of your sentiments. I got to around the 3rd of 4th mission and unlocked some stuff in the central hub. I disliked the whole hub mechanism and the disconnected nature of the missions. The combat also felt too focussed on chainsaw and glory kills. I much prefer gunning enemies down, but the absurd lack of ammo without chainsaw or glory kills made it impossible to focus on gunplay.

2 Likes

Just finished Doom 2016. Booting up Eternal now :mechanical_arm:

1 Like

Is it oky if I say Eternal seems a bit cartoony? Like 2016 looked amazing

1 Like

Both Doom games in 1 day :mechanical_arm:

Must say in the beginning I liked 2016 more but now it’s definitely Eternal

4 Likes

2 Likes

This was me too. At the beginning I found Eternal very annoying but by the end I enjoyed it way more than 2016. They’re both awesome though.

2 Likes

Gonna stream the game on discord when I play if anyone wants to check it out perhaps.

On my way to BFG 10 000 now :smiley:

3 Likes

Currently just before the point of no return, contemplating if I should go back and complete all the challenges and get all the secrets before going to the last mission, to make sure I am all geared up. I really want to, but I don’t want to do it on the windows live store, would rather get the steam version and do it there. However, I have found a tutorial that explains how to transfer the save file, :thinking:

2 Likes

I have completed the game, also got all the secrets as well as the two things on the computer. Now I just wish I had money for the expansion

5 Likes

Bought the game now on steam with the DLC, since le paycheck came in, followed the tutorial to migrate my saves from the xbox game pass to steam, aaaand it did not work T_T going to have to play it for the 3rd time from the start…

2 Likes