New beginning, new name

Off beat - beating off… only myself that sees it?

2 Likes

Nope, was my first thought too, hence:

I’m not too fussed by the name at the moment, only concerned with limiting it to “gaming”. I do believe there’s a place for a wider spectrum of alternative, geeky, nerdy culture with a broad range of content that can be addressed. Gaming (console / PC / table-top / card), toys (drones / statues / action figures / LEGO / etc) and alt-fiction (fantasy / sci-fi) are some examples of content that can be shared, discussed and reported upon. Kinda of like a Kotaku for the South African market.

Love the differing opinions! :dizzy_face::clipboard::pen:

Also consider that we can look at domains like .xyz (e.g. epicwin.xyz), and URL hacks like words that end in certain combinations like .la or .ly.

Of course a lot of common words are taken, but shilla.la was still available. Sadly there is no .da TLD, so hade.da is out of the question.

Well, if we take the .la URL hacks, gamezil.la is available…

EDIT: As is geekzil.la

EDIT 2: Imagine having a Godzilla-like creature with thick, black-framed glasses with a toothy smile as a logo. Almost like this guy -> :grin:

3 Likes

You’ve made me see it now.

1 Like

Right, so far a bunch of names have been mentioned and suggested. I say we should finalize the list and start voting on the name we will be sticking with.

I’ve consolidated all the nominations so far:

Mostepic.win
Offbeatgamer.com
Game & geek
Gamecentric
Gamers Platform
Gamersboard
Gamezil.la
Geekzil.la
Gamers’n’geeks.win
Geeking.out
Stompthegeek.com
mygaming.co.za

We now have to check which domain is still up for grabs, and eliminate those that are not. Then finalize the list, and start the voting process. What you say?

1 Like

I think just epic.win is fine

or this

I think beating off gamers isnt the most ideal name for a website… and its all i can see now…

1 Like

I am sorry about that =D

+1 Vote for community.mostepic.win + Rhino

You have no chance to survive make your time.

This just in — You may add mygaming.co.za to that list :smiley:.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

This has my vote. If nothing else it’s an established name. Plus I have 2 tshirt with it on. :smiley:

1 Like

possible collectors items :stuck_out_tongue:

haha I have about 4 shirts and a few caps.

Regardless, does the existing name not carry a stigma with it?

To be honest i would be a bit worried about this… Also it makes the site purely about gaming… A few people have mentioned the “geek” aspect of the site…

1 Like

doubt it, i think its a more established and recognised name that just didnt receive a lot of love compared to mybroadband

I mentioned this in another thread, but I would also vote to move to Discourse and a new brand. MyGaming is a shadow of its former self, and traffic to the site is just not there. Trying to keep it will need a big effort on our side generating things to bring in new users. Plus, with the focus on gaming, we lose the possibility of adding other geek culture elements to the site as well, drawing in a different crowd as well.

MyGeeking doesn’t really roll of the tongue, but I see what you mean. :stuck_out_tongue: