The Official LEGO Thread

So, seeing as we’re focusing on all things geek with our brand new community, I thought there might be a place for an official thread to discuss happenings in the land of LEGO. I know there are a couple of members on here already interested in the topic, so let’s rip with some discussions!

2 Likes

First off, I’m sure many of you know that LEGO is one of the few collectors toys that appreciates in value quite dramatically. Since all the sets have a limited run, if you are able to buy and HODL (to steal the current crypto term) the sets, you’d be able to sell it off for a pretty penny a couple of years later.

Case in point: I’m the lucky owner of an Imperial Flagship (10210) set, that was released under LEGO’s collector series with a limited run. I paid a grand total of R1500 for it 5 years ago. I see it’s now selling, second-hand, for around R8000. That’s a cool 433% return on investment over the 5 year period.

2 Likes

I really like the recent City stuff , with the Arctic range, the underwater exploration range and so on. Got all the Pirate stuff and I also collect iconic vehicles from movies/series, which is pretty much the only licensed ones I go for.

1 Like

I’m taking a guess that you’re referring to the new modular city sets in the Expert range? Those are gorgeous sets, yes. Sadly, I have no place to display LEGO sets, so my 10210 is boxed up in a cupboard. The regular “play” sets don’t interest me as much though…

1 Like

Both the Expert and the ‘play’ sets actually. I wanted to make a sort of mini city at one point, but then I realized I still have to eat.

1 Like

We really should get AlphaJohn in here as well, because I know (from the MyBB LEGO thread) he’s been collecting city sets like crazy. I must say, I’m quite jealous of you guys who have the ability and space to lay out elaborate LEGO displays. I also know McT is also quite a big LEGO fan, especially the City range.

As much as I’m considering to sell my 10210 currently, I’m also considering the possibility of adding floating shelves to the study I plan on building next year to display some sets.

1 Like

The City sets have a certain charm to them, and some of the vehicles are really, really awesome - especially the newer ones. I just need the Simpsons house and the Kwik-E-Mart one, but they seem to be going up in price.

1 Like

I love LEGO and wish I had a bigger collection of sets. I have a big box I played with as a kid with many different sets all bundled into one big box of blocks. Recently I started collecting the mini Star Wars LEGO sets, but in the move most of them got lost/damaged which is sad.

1 Like

Haha, I think we ALL have one of those. I still have the manuals and some of the boxes of some of them.

1 Like

Wish I had the manuals still. I’m pretty sure their somewhere gathering dust.

1 Like

I also have a box like that… Mixture of many LEGO themes.

Sites like EuroBricks and Bricklink are treasure troves for fueling nostalgia and I visit them every so often just to poke around and see what’s going on in the industry.

1 Like

My boytjie playing with my Lego when I was a boytjie.

1 Like

My lady is quite into her lego. Shes been buying the sets and has her eyes set out on the deathstar (heavily into star wars too), but its a tad too expensive when you consider everything else she’s been getting hehe

To give an idea of her love for things star wars or LEGO, here is what I commisioned my cousin to paint for her for christmas last year :grinning::

And then this year she’s getting the christmas Toy Shop and the Winter Holiday Train.

2 Likes

Amazingly my mother kept all my Lego from the 80s and 90s. I’ve since handed this to my kid (he’s loving the Lego) and as a result I’m buying Lego again. Mostly at this stage it’s from the Jurassic World sets and the creator line that he’s getting.

1 Like

Same here. Have a large box ready for my boy to jump into the moment he’s old enough to hold it in his hands (which would be another 3 years or so).

I guess daddy will have to start stocking up and playtest so long…

1 Like

https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Mythical-Creatures-31073

2 Likes

Lego Flash Sale on at Takealot right now:

1 Like

Random question:

Who here loves Lego? And who has some sets that they want to get rid of?

I am looking for some of the Creator Expert sets if anybody has them lying around…

2 Likes

I LOVE Lego. Proper AFOL here. Sadly, no money to buy it for myself, especially with the building project coming up. I rather buy some smaller sets for my son. Once I’m rolling in dough I’m getting some 18+ sets to adorn my new bookshelf.

3 Likes

Does the “A” stand for adult or ABSOLUTE? :smiley:

1 Like